through the behavior of critters
around me.
Now, I’m sure that cat and dog owners
have lots of stories they could share about their
pet’s antics, but alas, because of allergies,
my house has no such furry friends.
Oh, we do have the occasional Florida lizard
that ventures inside our window screen
and surprises me as I dust
the artificial plant in the living room!
Well last night, as our guests were leaving
our home after Bible Study, and the front door
an opportunistic frog
leapt right in on the tile floor,
past our legs and headed for
the computer desk off the

because of the other delectable bugs it draws,
but we’ve NEVER had one in the house before.
How interesting that just last week, the exterminator,
while making his periodic rounds,
said he would “take care” of our frog problem.
I suppose this medium sized fellow
was following the “light” …
and certainly found himself in a foreign land!
Thankfully, the squeal that greeted his entrance
was one of delight and not fright…because it
was uttered by our last guest and NOT me.
It turns out this demur, middle-aged lady loves frogs
and the opportunity to catch one had her overjoyed.
A great reminder not to judge a book by it’s cover!
(I’m thinking of the woman, not the frog. LOL)
“Have at it!” my heart cheered and I turned away
so that my presence wouldn’t impede the free-for-all
that ensued.
After a bit of commotion,
three adults with a Cool Whip container
were able to capture the interloper as he climbed the
bundle of computer wires in the dusty
area behind my desk! YEAH Team!
With delight, my friend cupped the frog and released
him tenderly into the dark front yard.
Truly, the frog made her evening.
As for me, I was just grateful he was OUT
of my house and I needn’t worry about a hopping
critter on the loose.
Certainly, being trapped in a human’s domain
would have sealed his fate because he doesn’t belong
in our domesticated space.
Then I pondered the gentle hands that rescued him
and I was reminded of JESUS!
How often He rescues me when I venture
into territory that is harmful for me.
He has set His angels to watch over and protect me
and I praise God for the strong arms that deliver
me from all kinds of mishaps and trials.

Then today I came across
another critter “illustration.”
not far from home, I noticed a group of five ducks
sitting in a driveway, “drinking” soapy water
that trickled off a car a neighbor kid was washing.
These were wild ducks that grow accustomed to humans
and sometimes end up dead in the road.
“How dumb!” I thought as I watched them
drink the run-off on the driveway.
With a pond across the street, they
were “settling” for liquid that might harm them.
This time the human on the scene was either oblivious
or indifferent to their situation. Not at all like our GOD.
I can only guess whether the ducks
will have stomach distress or worse…
yet, I can determine to be watchful
over my own life, so that my thoughts
and actions don’t lead me into harm’s way.
How about you?
I hope you're not feeling ...
“jumpy as a frog” or “dumb as a duck.”
God bless you today and always!



Honey,
ReplyDeleteI love the way you take ordinary instances and see spiritual principles behind them. I believe this is seeing things through the Lords eyes. There are so many lessons He wants to teach us and if we learn to see these lessons in the ordinary, maybe He wouldn't have to bring us to the extremes so often in order to get our attention so as to teach us. You are precious in His sight, and in Mine! H. Wubby.
Well I almost went down a rabbit trail in my mind, almost getting stuck where you said "as he climbed the bundle of computer wires in the dusty
ReplyDeletearea behind my desk" -- and thinking how mortified I would be if my guests could see all my hidden "dust". (Maybe a topic for a blogpost!)
I love this post! I think your hubby is so right--what a gift you have to see spiritual lessons in the ordinary things of life.
I'll email you soon...when I get the chance. I'm hoping my mom can come over today to help me with the grandkids for a couple hours. The one year old has forty fingers, if you get my drift! :) Can't wait to visit with you more! Blessings on your day...hope you are getting a little rest.
Hi Jacque!
ReplyDeleteA rabbit trail...hmmmm...talk about staying focused on Christ!
And I WAS mortified about the dust underneath my desk!!! But was grateful that only that last couple witnessed the dust covered wires and hey, the frog made their night!
Blessings, sweet friend.
Hi Jess,
ReplyDeleteWhat a cute and enjoyable post with so much
spiritual incite. I think we cna learn a lot
from God's creatures, like dogs, they really know how to love people and make them feel special, that is why people love them so much.
Your post made me smile, thanks for sharing it.
And thanks for all the sweet comments you left on my Anniversary post, they were very appreciated hon.
You and Tony have a great weekend,
Love ya, Nellie
I have gone through a few lizards, frogs and even a Possum in our FL home.
ReplyDeleteGreat post Jess! Praying for you.
Boy can you keep my attention...all the way to the end. Have you ever thought of writing children's books? I think you would be a very popular author. Very entertaining.
ReplyDeleteLove the post...
Hugs. Tara
I would not have liked the frog in my house either!!! Love your post!
ReplyDeleteLoved this story about the frog. Remind me to tell you my SNAKE story sometime!! I'd rather have the frog, I think! I also saw your children's book summary. It looks wonderful.
ReplyDeleteHave a great day,