Monday, June 25, 2012

Trying Something New!

When did you last step OUT of your comfort zone?
It's a scary, exhilarating experience...one I usually avoid.
How about you?

Most often I have to "force" myself to try something new and so our move out-of-state to find employment a year ago was very unnerving!  So WHAT was I doing at the Saturday morning audition for the summer, community theater production of "Fiddler On The Roof"?

Okay, I love drama...watching it!  And I do enjoy the spot light...but community theater? 
As a busy mom and director of a non-profit agency, I never had the time to try it.  Now I have some time to invest.  Yet, literally 45 minutes before auditions began, I was still in my pajamas, stewing about not having anything "prepared" for the audition.  A bundle of nerves, I drove to the high school with my neighbor (a veteran of one production), and two days later we learned that we had parts in the play. 


Developing the part of Yente the Matchmaker has been fun and challenging!  Learning the music to several songs and dance steps for many, takes a great deal of focus and long rehearsals.  Still, I'm amazed at GOD's goodness in allowing me this opportunity!  You see, nine years ago, when the debilitating osteoarthritis pain in my knees reached an unbearable point, I underwent bi-lateral knee replacement surgery. 

How wonderful that my new knees enable me to engage my new community in such a fun way!  Getting to know my fellow actors, ages 5 to 64 is a special blessing.  To Life! L'chaiim! 

7 comments:

  1. O, Jess! Congratulations! And what a fine character/part to assume. I applaud your adventurous spirit. I'm sure it will "stretch" you -- but what rewards (many unexpected, I'm sure) will come from this?!?!?!?! Yay for YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rebecca. Please pray for good health for all the actors. The next 2 weeks will be grueling and then we have four performances in a row. Mazeltov!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jessica,
    so good to hear fom you and how wonderful that you got this part. I hope it brings you much joy as well as the audience, and what a great way to make some new
    friends. Blessings abundant to you hon in this new
    endeavor. Do you know I have never seen the whole enitire movie fiddler on the Roof, guess I am gonna need to put it on our netflix queue. so I can see
    what you are doing............lol

    Love ya, Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tremendously exciting, Jess! Good for you. I do hope you'll get some video footage to share with us. I think this is a very good use of your time and creative energy.

    Blessings and peace~elaine

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a wonderful opportunity you allowed yourself. Isn't that such a gift, to be able to try something out of the ordinary at this point in life? It's a season of resurrected dreams... and I am also in such a season.

    Your comment on Elaine's blog struck me and thought I'd come over to your place to meet you.

    Blessings
    Lidia

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice post thanks for sharing looking for to visit more...blessings

    ReplyDelete
  7. glad to hear that it went so well and you had so much FUN! I could never step THIS FAR out of my comfort zone!!!! But YOU DID IT! Congratulations! And what a wonderful musical to make your debut! So what's next??

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.