Monday, November 5, 2012

Psalms for Times of Uncertainty

It’s the sign of our times…uncertainty. I don’t know about you, but uncertainty brings a disquieting feeling that can get the best of me if I don’t consciously counteract it. I need to intentionally “Nip it in the bud!” as Barney Fife used to say on the "Andy Griffith Show."



Yet, like other negative emotions, angst over uncertainty is hard to corral.  I mean, look at rising gas prices, declining home values, the unemployment rate, and it’s difficult to feel confident about much of anything today. Add in the news about Hurricane Sandy, attacks on our embassies, the upcoming election, and uncertainty can mushroom into fearfulness in the blink of an eye. That’s when the tenets of my faith and the promises of scripture become a bulwark against invading doubt and fear.

Sometimes when I’m feeling worried I sing. My children can recount numerous times they’ve heard me make up songs to defuse my emotions. How wonderful that the Book of Psalms in the Bible is filled with songs to the Lord, actual cries for help. These are mostly written by King David, a prominent king in the Old Testament, who gives us truth to hold on to. David is referred to as “the Psalmist,” the song writer, because he loved to pour out his heart to God in song. His psalms are sacred poems that he set to music to soothe his soul and worship God.

King David and his son Solomon wrote much about the God we can trust. Throughout the Books of Psalms and Proverbs, we read that God is a “shield” and “refuge” for those who choose to believe in Him. David penned the following: “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.” (Psalm 46:1) He knew God’s delivering power from his early days of protecting sheep from menacing predators. Later in life he was on the run, being hunted by his enemies, and God proved faithful to be his shield.

Indeed, throughout his reign King David experienced God’s help in trouble and unabashedly encouraged others to seek Him; to pour out their hearts before Him, for God is a refuge we can trust in.(Psalm 62:8) Years later, King Solomon wrote that the very “name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous run into it and are safe.” (Proverbs 18:10)

These words are more than a comfort; to those who will meditate on them they are life-transforming. When uncertainty and fear tries to knock me to my knees, I have learned that there is a spiritual place I can run to. I will be safe if I call on the Name of the One who loved me enough to die for me…Jesus!

Jesus promises to “never leave me or forsake me.” He uses His Word, the Bible, to instruct, correct and encourage me. It is filled with precepts to live by and truths that help me cope with a changing world. Enduring centuries of tumult and skepticism, the Bible remains the most respected book in the world. In its pages I’ve learned the meaning of Hope.

No matter what the world throws at me, I can have Hope for a brighter tomorrow, for healed relationships, for a peaceful heart and the promise of heaven. Prayer and praise are avenues to this Hope.

So when uncertainty assaults me, I’m reminded to turn to God and thank Him for the many times He has met my needs. Truly King David had a word for us today when he wrote: “I sought the LORD, and He answered me, and delivered me from all my fears.” (Psalm 34:4)
Great advice!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.