Thursday, April 25, 2013
The Flip Side of Suffering
Some days the world seems to be dark with trouble. Terrorism, disease, economic collapse… the suffering of many seems multiplied right now. I can’t help wondering how do people survive personal sufferings like surgeries, broken relationships, loss of loved ones or loss of income, let alone the travail that threatens our culture? I suppose many try to ignore bad things that are out of their control.
When unjust suffering hits home how do you cope?
No one I know willingly signs up for suffering. Indeed, suffering is something most of us avoid. Yet in a world soaked in sin, suffering is a fact of life. Whether physical or emotional in nature, suffering is common to all mankind at some point in our lives. The challenge is not to blame GOD when bad things happen. A righteous man named Job, who suffered much, once said: “man is born to trouble as surely as sparks fly upward,” and “shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?” (Job 5:7; 2:10)
These thoughts surfaced in light of last week’s tragedy in Boston when so many lives were changed forever. Then, a facebook friend posted an inspiring music video filmed in a chemo lab. Have you heard Kelly Clarkson’s song “What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger ”? With that song as the backdrop for the cancer patients’ determination, my heart was reminded of the rewards of suffering.
Wrapping up my year-long study of the Book of Genesis (with Bible Study Fellowship) I am reading about a young man who suffered unjustly at the hands of many and yet GOD was with him. The life of Joseph, the favored son of the Patriarch Jacob, is one that speaks of victory in the face of hopelessness. Starting in Chapter 37 of Genesis, and continuing on to the end of the Book, we witness how suffering caused Joseph to change from a cocky, self-confident youth to a humble, dedicated leader. Though GOD allowed betrayal, false accusation and unjust imprisonment to shape Joseph, He always blessed the work of Joseph’s hands. Others could see that GOD was with him even in his dire circumstances.
In fact, after Joseph had been tempered and molded by very difficult situations, GOD elevated him to the second highest position in all Egypt. Answerable only to Pharaoh, Joseph’s influential administration spared the nation and many surrounding peoples from a seven year famine that would have destroyed whole populations.
And so I’m left to ponder what positive outcomes might spring from my own periods of suffering? If I trust GOD to use the trials and tragedies of my life for His purposes, might I rejoice “down the road” over the hard things I’ve endured?
The Apostle Paul is often quoted in times of trouble because he promises that GOD will bring good out of the sufferings of those who trust in Him. The NIV version of the Bible translates his words this way:
“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.” Romans 8:28
You know, looking back over the first half century of my life I can see that good has come out of my times of pain and I thank GOD for that. Truly, what didn’t kill me, brought me more inner strength, peace and hope mainly because I knew I wasn’t alone in my suffering. GOD always has a purpose and a plan.
How about you?
If you’ve never leaned on GOD during times of pain and loss, seek Him now so that you will have the assurance of His presence when the next storm comes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




Coming from you, out of your own experience of pain - physical & emotional - the message is saturated with assurance! God ALWAYS has a purpose and a plan!
ReplyDeleteHow goes the recovery, dear Jessica?
Hi Jessica,
ReplyDeleteWhat a honest and truthful post. Nobody likes suffering but it does yield quite a crop of fruit for the Lord and we have seen him bring good out of all our circumstances that looked so bad at the time.
God is incredibly able to do so much with one situation it never ceases to amaze us. Hope you are
up and around and feeling much better these days.
Sorry I haven't been in touch but have been a lil
occupado with the new baby and Mom, as Megan went thru post partem depression. In the beginning it was a gut wrenching month, for all of us. I shed a lot of tears for all of them........but praise the Lord she is pretty much back to normal now.
Take Care,
Love ya, Nellie
Thank you for these encouraging words. It is so hard when these tragedies happen. I took comfort this morning in the story of the Shepherd who left the 99 to seek and save the one. Thankful that Jesus died for each one of us.
ReplyDelete