Die?
I mean really, if you had 20 seconds to say or write "Good-bye," WHAT would you write?
Since 9/11 I've been keenly aware that our days are so uncertain.
Those 3000 people that perished in New York City on a beautiful September morning, had no idea THAT was their last day on earth. No doubt some had planned to pick up their dry cleaning after work and some may have scheduled dental appointments or a pizza date with loved ones.
Only GOD knows the number and length of our days, and that's a comforting thought. (Psalm 139:16)
To have Peace with GOD through our Lord JESUS CHRIST is a priceless gift!
You might be wondering why this morose post?
Yesterday, during our church service there was a man who was giving off very weird and nefarious vibes. He was seated behind me and to my left. With dark glasses, tattoos galore, a mean set to his jaw, ripped jeans and a sleeve-less T-shirt he certainly drew attention.
Well, I didn't notice him at first, I mean he was seated behind me, but my husband and the ushers were all on alert. And pastor was preaching on the "Showdown at Mt.Carmel!"
An epic battle between God and the forces of evil, when Elijah put to shame (and to death) 450 false prophets.
(1 Kings 18:16-40).
Meanwhile, the stranger in our midst was acting in alarming ways...holding up a sign in the middle of the congregation pointed at the choir during the praise singing and sitting with his head lowered, between his
knees in a tense posture during the sermon.
SO, what's a writer to think? I know I can get a little dramatic ...but when I heard the LORD whisper to my heart "Do not be afraid Daughter," I naturally thought the worst.
Yet, I did not fear, only thanked GOD for the knowledge that whatever might happen I belong to HIM and I am ready to meet HIM whenever HE wants me. My mind took a QUICK inventory of my life...it was a very surreal moment.
In the ensuing seconds I wrote a couple of simple sentences to my dear husband on my bulletin, just in case I might be felled by a bullet or whatever.
"Tony, I love you.
I am not afraid!
God is with me and He will continue
to guide you, and love you and the kids.
JESUS is Lord!"
Thankfully, despite the passionate preaching of our pastor, the stranger never made any violent motions. I noticed an elder praying with him immediately afterwards. We've learned that he is mentally ill and maybe our congregation can help him in some way. How sad that in our culture, random shootings are common and people feel so vulnerable.
For me it was a sweet lesson to always be "ready" holding short accounts with everyone.
So, if you had just a few minutes to say "Good-bye" what would you write?
Monday, October 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




Wow, Jess! What a thought-provoking post. I hope before the day is over to try to write out what I would say if I knew I had 20 second to live.
ReplyDelete(I wondered at first if he was a "plant" -- like a sermon illustration to be explained later in the sermon....) Praying as I write for proper treatment and safe place for him.
Morning Jess,
ReplyDeleteWow, never knew all that was going on. That would certainly be a lil disconcerting for anyone, especially after what the Lord spoke to you.
So glad everything turned out fine. You just never know today. Was just telling Jim that is another thing to add to our prayer list - protection during the services.
This was a great post and so true we all need to be ready to meet our maker because we just never know. We just had a reminder of that ourselves this weekend, we found out my step-sister who just turned 44 has cancer all throughout her body and probably want be with us much longer.
Thank the Lord she is a believer. So sad, yet so much of a relief that we know her destination. Can't imagine not having that assurance, how dreadful that would be!!
Have a good week ahead hon,
Love ya, Nellie
oh...my...goodness! This has to be the best post you've ever written. Ever since I had a cancer-scare in '97, I am totally NOT afraid of death. I love my life, my firends, and my family...but my life is hidden with Christ and anyone who knows me knows my destination because of HIM! What a scary thing to happen though in a church service...do you know what the sign said? God says that NOTHING can separate us from Him...not even this man's mental illness. I will be praying for him. If I just had a few minutes to say goodbye, what would I write? humm... I think I also would say, "I'm not afraid to die". Would you believe, that's what my dad said?!! I like what Jim Elliott said, "When it comes time to die, make sure all you have to do is die." Wow, God was plenty busy in Ohio yesterday too, and He was mindful of even ME!
ReplyDeleteWe do live in uncertain times. I have wondered how many people in the towers had time to answer Jesus' knock on the door of their heart.
ReplyDeleteI just put your post on twitter :)
ReplyDeleteAmen! We need to be ready and to know that GOD is truly with us and that we don't need to fear.
ReplyDeleteAs a friend of mine recently said to me whom I was traveling with ...I prayed for her as I put her onto her plane and waited for my plane but as I put her on her plane I said, the Lord is with you. You're safe.
The weather was horrific.
She said to me, Lisa I'm either going home or I'm going Home. Either way I win.
So true!
Had, God forbid, that man done something to you Jess, you were prepared and you would have gone Home.
Sadly many people are not prepared and those are the people I most pray for to know CHRIST. Not just know of Him but to know Him.
Thanks for sharing with us. God bless you!
Im glad to hear that all worked itself in the end with someone praying with and for him. It's always great to be prepared because we dont' know the day or the hour. But at least we know where we are going...and in that we can have peace in our hearts. I must I admit was at the edge of my seat while I was reading your post. Thanks for sharing!!!
ReplyDeleteWow, Jessica....Thanking God for keeping you (and others around this man) safe. May the Lord set him free from the mental illness that is imprisoning his mind. Maybe you will see him again as a free man...with a smile and the joy of the Lord in his heart!
ReplyDeleteLove you-----Michelle
Hi,
ReplyDeleteJust found your blog while blog hopping. Thank you for an inspirational and thought provoking post. I have enjoyed being here.
With God we have no fear.We must keep spreading His word!
have a great day!
Blessings
You have posted about a situation that goes through my mind often. Wanting to share the love of Jesus with the homeless/mentally ill, but wondering if it is the safe thing to do. I guess all we can do is listen to the Holy Spirit to direct our path...
ReplyDeleteI've had a lot of time over the past two months to think about this very thing... not from a morbid standpoint, but from a heart that is willing to explore the question in light of my diagnosis.
ReplyDeleteLife is measured in moments, at least it should be. We should be living each one as if it mattered for all eternity. I've always kind of lived that way, but now ever more so.
Pain births rich perspective if we yield to the moment. I pray mine always be connected to the visioning and heart of our Father.
Thanks for joining me on the road and for leaving your kind words of comfort.
Rest well in Christ this weekend; enjoy those grandkids and take good care of your heart!
peace~elaine