Having just moved for the 13th time in 33 years of marriage, I am struck by what it took to make my new house FEEL like home. And I'm surprised by the fact that it was something different that brought about this "feeling" than in past moves.
Some people feel "at home" when they paint the walls a color of their choosing. This is the case with my new neighbor who has lived in other homes in our development of duplexes and is tired of the standard beige/light yellow walls. She has picked out vibrant colors to claim her space!
For some people, the minute they hang a family photo or favorite print on the wall, they "feel" at home.
For others it is placing one's furniture in the new space, or hanging curtains they brought from a previous house.
This time, for me, it was replacing two light fixtures! Yes...that did it!
No wonder...I used to sell lighting to retail and wholesale customers back in the late 1970's and early 80's...and I suppose I will always be interested in the design and function of what many take for granted.
In our last house in Florida, I lived with the chandelier that was original to the home (a contractor special) for almost 12 years! However, I did replace the fixture over the dinette. Here in GA, the white and chrome fixture that hung in the dining room did NOT go with my Old World/ Traditional furniture style and it grated on my sense of design.
Sounds so petty in a way, but once I noticed a chandelier in a small local shop...at a discount...I was tickled to bring it home. Funny how it feels more like HOME now that everything seems to flow.
Of course, wherever I focus on my Heavenly Father can be "home." For under His wings of Grace I find a shelter like nowhere else.
And what a blessing that I have the company of
the sweetest man I know...my Hubby.
Truly, I'm feeling more at HOME.




What a beautiful fixture....and I'm so happy to hear you're feeling more and more at home. (I still believe "home" is a state of heart/mind/attitude--and you've done well in this department.)
ReplyDeleteI hear you loud and clear! Since we are living in a temporary dwelling right now, I've hesitated making it much of a home. After all, I hope to be moving soon. But now that it's actually been one whole year, I figured I might as well add a few homey things. Just having a few wall hangings and photos displayed has helped make this feel more like a home.
ReplyDeleteBlessings and love,
Debbie
I'm glad that the simple fix of hanging a new light fixture helped you to feel more at home! Your post got me thinking, though. I haven't really felt truly at home for a couple of years now. (Part of that could be due to moving into 3 different rental properties during that time.) However, I do find that when I can plant a garden it helps! I only have a small space to dig in now, but I'm enjoying making it "my own".
ReplyDeleteBlessings, Joan
Making a home yours is important and I am glad your light fixture did the trick for you......For me, it's always having those items around me that are meaningful to me.....things that have been given to me or I've purchased that spoke to my heart......sometimes just being wrapped in an old quilt will do the trick.....Nesting is important to us women.......
ReplyDeleteHave a great weekend....
Love the light fixture story!! Blessings to you today.
ReplyDeleteI understand Jessica. We've moved 7 times in 21 years (hopefully this is our last move) and each place it took the simple things to make it feel like home to me.
ReplyDeleteI pray God's blessings and favor over you and your husband in every way -- your marriage, health, finances, peace of mind, relationships, family and all that you lay your hands to in His Name.
Love you.