Saturday, June 18, 2011

Up Close For A Few Moments


The warning on my sideview mirror:  "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear."
I just returned from Grandma Land...{sigh}

When I'm with my children and grandchlidren time stands still.
I'm sure that sensation occurs because I have to travel far from home to be in their company and their nearness superceedes any concern or distraction.

My daughter and SIL graciously give us their bedroom and bunk with the boys...this adds upheaval to everyone's schedule and I'm sure they are anxious to "get back to normal" after we leave.  Oh, but the giggles of five year old Amos and the hugs of one year old Jeremiah, made this grandma's heart sing.

We went bowling, did jigsaw puzzles, watched Amos do a bungie routine in the mall, decorated cupcakes, ate ice cream, watched movies together, etc., etc.

Though I was excited to get back to my own bed, the silence in my nest can be stifling...except when Hubby plays the accordion for me and music floods my heart.

Praising GOD we can see the Family at least 2 times a year.  Trying to be content.  You long distance Grandmas know just what I mean!

10 comments:

  1. oh boy, do I ever know what you mean. We have had a pattern of seeing each other about every 3 months or so. If they come here twice and year and we go there twice a year, it works! Still, it's very hard. Could You possibly try that? How far is it? We are about 9 hours away. But when they came the last time with 3 kids and the dog it took them 11 1/2 hrs. sigh... So glad you had this much needed visit Jess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm one of those long-distance-grammas and I know what you mean...I can tell what a wonderful time you had (and also can imagine how good your own bed felt).

    I don't know how I missed your "exhale" post, but I just now read it, too. What beautiful places you have to walk in! I'm looking forward to see where God places you, Jess. I "hear" your heart for those with pregnancy challenges and imagine it could well be in a related capacity...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey sweet lady! I am yet to have any grandbabies, but I can just imagine how it would feel to only see them twice a year! I bet you all had a great visit. You mentioned on my blog about a picture if a fish. Please refresh my memory. I don't remember posting about a fish. LOL!
    Hugs,
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am happy you had such a great visit, Jess. I treasure every visit with my grandkids and I sure miss the ones who are out west. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always wonderful to get a Grandma fix where many memories are made to carry through the long distance.....

    So glad you had a wonderful trip.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if grandparents enjoy their grandkids so much because it allows them to be kids again; to just relax and not have much of an agenda for a few days. I look forward to that. Right now, if I ever watched another animated movie again it would be too soon.

    Glad for your time away.

    peace~elaine

    ReplyDelete
  7. We will soon be long-distance grandparents also...waiting & wondering. Thanks for your post, dear friend! Beautiful grandkids you & Tony have! :) Love the picture of Amos in the car mirror!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Time with family is precious and a blessing from God! I'm so glad you had a wonderful trip!

    Blessings, Joan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jessica,
    So glad you have such happy times when you visit with Katie and her family, what a joy that is.

    Have been thinking about you guys, and meaning to call just have had a lot going on lately, and we are readjusting to our new schedule now that Jim is back to work. For some reason there are days I am just exhausted, guess it is because we are getting up so much earlier, and even tho we are going to bed earlier than we were, think it might still not be early enough!! lol

    Hope all is well with you and that yall have settled into a good schedule yourselfs. Tony isn't still working nights I hope???

    That was a very cute pic of Amos in the mirror,
    and liked what it said, he is closer when you use skype!!

    Take care sweetie, and sorry for the silence
    I will have to do better..............

    Love ya, Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jess, So glad you got time with your precious grands; I can't imagine not being close to ours-I'd be mighty lonely!
    Thanks for visiting and blessings on your week.
    Hugs,Noreen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.