Drawings, long forgotten, have come to the forefront and I chuckle.
As a teenager I did these two watercolors and somehow managed to keep the pad they were drawn in for almost 40 years!
Looking back I'm surprised that I drew the old woman, except that I faintly remember contemplating what "old age" would look like. Now I'm beginning to experience what it feels like! LOL
Recently, I've been thinking of some of the lessons my grandmother taught me. Thought I'd share some with you:
1) Regularly floss your teeth, at least the ones you want to keep!
Funny, as a teenager, the image of my grandmother flossing in front of the TV was not appealing.
But now, at my age, oh the comfort of clean teeth and gums!
2) Wipe down the shower after each use.
What a drag that was for me when I would visit her!
Now I do it eagerly, knowing it will keep the glass and tile looking fresh longer.
3) Don't dwell on negative comments or unjust criticisms.
She told me that to do so, would be like eating a sandwich that is offered to you even when you know it has poison in it.
In my middle age, I try to avoid the poison and quickly forgive.
4) Watch what you eat. Weight Watchers was her preferred program.
Boy do I need help with this one. Eating for emotional reasons keeps tripping me up!
5) Use two sponges in the kitchen, one for the counters and one for the dishes.
And everyone needs their own towel in the bathroom.
I think I can justifiably blame her for all of my OCD tendencies!
6) Make time to keep in touch with those you love!
She modeled this by sending me letters throughout my youth which I still cherish.
7) Seek the LORD.
She shared Old Testament stories with me and I marveled at the Heroes of the faith...
hoping to cultivate a strong and lasting relationship with our Awesome GOD.
I pray you have had a wise mentor, mother or grandmother who shared practical advice and eternal truths with you. For surely a day is coming when we need to be that purveyor of wisdom for others.
Blessings Precious Ones as you grow in age and grace ~
"For wisdom is better than jewels;
And all desirable things cannot compare with her."
Proverbs 8:11





Thank you so much for sharing your Grandmother's love with us. The paintings are so beautiful! I'm so glad you found them. Hugs & much luv always =)
ReplyDeleteGreat Advice!!! Hope you are doing ok.
ReplyDeleteLove your grandmother's precious wisdom; I especially love hearing my favorite romantic piano man playing in the background. Jim Brickman is awesome. I've seen him 4 times! What a blessing his music is to me. Another thing we have in common!
ReplyDeleteAnd that wiping down the shower thing! Annoying even at 45, yet very practical.
Have a lovely day.
peace~elaine
So glad I found your blog......Love your grandmother's advice....still very applicable.........the music is wonderful......
ReplyDeleteI hope you will drop over and visit me.....