Tuesday, July 19, 2011

I Need a Plan!

Hi Friends,

I can't believe it has been a month since I posted on this blog!
I've missed hearing from you all and hope that you are well and enjoying summertime in your "neck of the woods."

Many of you know that I have been burdened to write a book about mother/daughter relationships.
The burden has deepened through the last year of change and I can't shake it!  Yet, I fight the process and the emotional investment to file back through the memories.  Check out www.motherdaughtertango.blogspot.com and join the conversation.

My mother was an alcoholic.  She was a wounded woman in need of much grace and love.  Unfortunately, her hurt caused her to hold us kids at a distance.  Yet, GOD extended mercy upon mercy to her.  The story I need to write is about how HIS Grace enabled me to honor and serve her the last four years of her life.
Perhaps I've been unable to "buckle down" and put pen to paper because I have not totally forgiven her for the  emotional abuse I suffered.  Perhaps I would be able to do so by writing down the tale of my childhood.
Either way, I know that GOD's Love is sufficient to heal my heart completely and that if I am willing to let Him do it, HE will not only bless me, but many others too.

So, how do I structure my days to write some difficult stuff?  How do I make it a priority when I've long preferred to "not go there"?

Prayer and accountability; submission and support. 

I would love to hear how you have tackled a difficult project, one step at a time.
Blessings to you and yours!

Jess

4 comments:

  1. Beginning has always been the hardest for me. A few months ago I began a writing project - memoir style. I broke my life down into 14 different stages (based on places I'd lived, etc.) Then I determined to sit down and write each as a chapter - 14 days in a row. I didn't worry about form at all--just got SOMEthing down and wrote until I couldn't think of any more to write each day. It worked for me.

    Now, I haven't gone back to polish it. That's another project for another day.

    It WAS healing for me to just do THAT much. I think you'll be surprised at the insights you'll gain from this, Jess.

    (And I HAVE missed you here.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've missed you here too...and I know several of us share that burden to write. Our Pastor Joe gave some insight on this "getting started" business in Sunday's sermon. He said "God usually doesn't give his foot soldiers at lot of information; He just gives the command." (Think Bible characters such as Abraham, Jonah, and many others). So Bob and I are trying harder to live by the mantra "just do what is right in front of me" ... meaning we don't have to accomplish it all at once or even have the full vision... I'm looking forward to hearing your stories of pain and healing...all to HIS glory!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess, I bless you as you begin your book. Someone said that every book begins with just one word. I know that blogging about the grief of Caleb's death brought a lot of healing and closure for me. May God bless you and help you. He will use your journey of healing to bring healing to many others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jessica,
    I can tell you from experience that writing my Mom's eulogy for the pastor who did not know her
    helped me to recapture the good moments, that so much pain had hidden. I was horrified when the Pastor really didn't read it, but put his own spin on it, cause it really didn't sound like anyone we knew, or anything like what I wrote.

    I was so hurt and sort of devastated he didn't use it because I spent weeks working on it in order to honor her, and tried to recount all the good memories.

    I was lamenting to the Lord about what a waste of my time that was...........and the Lord's repsonse to me..........it helped you didn't it??
    and I have to say a resounding YES!
    It really did wash away all the bad memories and left me only with the good......miraculous I would say..........but then Jesus is in the miracle business, isn't he..............

    Just get started hon, like Jacquelyn said you don't need a plan just start writing. I have found that the Lord has his own plan for organizing it.

    Love ya, Nellie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.