Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Sandwich Generation

What an awesome blessing God gave us when He established the family unit.

So complex, it provides us identity, nurture, significance and character building.
Oh, I know that many families are splintered by addiction, abandonment and abuse.
But that wasn’t God’s original design.
Such hurt is the result of sin…
the self-centeredness and selfishness of mankind.


As my pastor said last Sunday “there is no totally ‘functional’ family.”
We are ALL in process, and apart from Christ
we’re incapable of loving each other the way we should.


In 2004, my mother and step-dad moved to Florida to be near us.
Little did I realize the shift in roles that awaited me.
All of a sudden, by pure virtue of my age,
I faced all of the responsibilities and demands
of the “Sandwich Generation.”


While I was planning my only daughter’s wedding,
I spent days at the hospital, spoon-feeding my
mother scrambled eggs as she recuperated from back surgery.

The ensuing 3 ½ years were very challenging
as her health deteriorated and I was the only
child near-by to lend support.
My nest had barely emptied
and now I was the “on-call” caregiver.

There were several days I wanted to resign from my new position.
At times her mounting needs caused me to feel trapped.


Have you been there?
Perhaps you’re going through a prolonged situation
that demands all of your energy and focus right now.

Precious One, don’t quit or loose heart.
Determine to keep loving and giving.
Make time to “smell the roses” and plan short
get-a-ways, you’ll be a better supporter for it.

My mother was promoted to heaven April 1, 2008.
And I am so glad that I stayed the course.
Today, the final gifts of my love and attention
mean as much to me as they did to her at the time.


Nine short weeks before she died, I hosted a party to
celebrate her 75th birthday and 20th wedding anniversary.
Family from across the state attended and
She delighted in their love and attention.

And in God's infinite favor,
she was able to hold her first great-grandchild.

I praise God for how He enabled me serve her
and finish well.

3 comments:

  1. That was amazing that you were able to be with your mother, even when the going was tough. In hindsight the opportunity turned into a blessing of sorts. Good post! Very thought provoking.
    I am a sandwich person too. But my kids live too far away for me to feel that. But my parents are near me. Not always needing my time just yet. Dad is 79 years old and my mother will be 79 in August. I know I am blessed to still have them.

    Thank you for visiting my daughter's blog. That was awesome. We were just chatting on line and she said she would come and visit you soon.

    Thanks again. I thought your encouragment was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great jewel. So glad you were able to spend precious time with your mom even though it was difficult.

    You are so blessing me these days!

    I thank the Lord for sending me Godly bloggers to give me insights to all that is going on in my life. God knows just what we need and just when we need it! Thanks for encouraging me through another day and another season! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jess, You indeed did finish well, my friend.
    I'm sure others will be encouraged to read about your experience, and to really value the time spent with parents even as caregivers.

    You're a blessing,
    Love,
    Beck

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.