Friday, September 4, 2009

CHOOSING SERVANTHOOD


Surrender...Who me? ~ Part 2

I’ve come to see that surrender is more than
a change in priorities.
It must be a gut level, heart transforming pledge.
Forsaking All,
I Trust Him,
I Take Him,
I Thank Him.

But such a pledge can not be fulfilled in my
own feeble strength.
Even when I feel my strongest,
I can be weakened by fatigue,
temptation or even praise.

So I need the help of God’s Holy Spirit
to stay the course!
~~~~
And how easy it is to forget
that we were bought at a great price!
Jesus gave all and suffered all so that
we might fellowship
with God and partake of His Holy nature.

Jesus tenderly instructs us:
“Whoever does not carry his own cross
and come after Me,
cannot be My disciple.”
Luke 14:27

We are called to a surrendered, obedient life~
Not a comfortable, no hassles lifestyle.
Ouch!
(I wrote these words for a church newsletter
in August 1990.
How I need to be admonished by them now!)

~~~~
When Christ redeemed us, we weren’t standing in line
eager to exchange our precious rights for
His example of servanthood...
we weren’t free agents waiting for the highest bidder!
No. We were enslaved to a bitter master,
the very sin nature which fuels insatiable desires.

Precious Ones, do you ever feel
that your desires are out-of-control?
Do you long to experience true contentment?
Sorry to be meddling…but I certainly need this reminder!
~~~~
In America, material prosperity has too long been
confused for God’s blessing.
Rather, God’s desire for us is that we be blessed
with the FRUIT of His Spirit
as we become slaves to Christ,
and do HIS will from our hearts.
(Galatians 5:22,23 Ephesians 6:6)
~~~~

Throughout the New Testament, Jesus calls us individually,
and as a church, to choose whom we will serve.

He has equipped us with the discernment,
encouragement, and power
of His Holy Spirit.
Indeed He has promised us
the very mind of Christ
if we will commit our lives to Him.
1Corinthians 2:16

Our point of surrender
is the doorway to discipleship.

Christ expects of us believers:
the hopeful humility that welcomes
His work in our lives and the willingness
to put His agenda first.

What areas of your life have padlocks on them?
What attitudes or feelings do you need to surrender to
our Holy God today?

Come to the Font of Blessing ~
Be washed by His Words in the scriptures.
The Jewel of Surrender
may be the most precious of All!

7 comments:

  1. Thank you. Too often, I think about doing some act of service and then start thinking about the "cost", and choose to stay in my comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Karen,
    I know just what you mean.
    I suppose our battle is against self-centeredness and self-preservation.
    But I know I miss great blessings when I guard my energy, time, resources.
    Praise GOD, He is so patient with us and continues to offer us opportunities to serve.
    I hope you are having a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great message, Jess. True surrender is where all the good stuff happens, and God brings us into alignment with His Word. He must increase, I must decrease. I love that even though surrender and obedience are often so difficult, He delights in it, and always blesses it with plump juicy fruit. That is the very essence of the vine life!!

    May our branches sag with lovely fruit!! :o)
    Love ya,
    Bek

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with you Becky...except for the "sagging" part.
    In the natural, I resemble that remark!

    ;) Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Powerful truths!

    Beautifully shared unto the glory of our GOD.

    Love and blessings dear sister.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jess, I wanted to thank you for your visit to Heart Choices. I love to meet new blogging friends. And I see I'm in good company as Lisa Shaw is one of my favorite bloggers and friend.

    I love how you wrote: "Our point of surrender is our doorway to discipleship." Well said.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello My Precious Wife,
    After 31 years, I can truly say that though none of has completely mastered this "surrender" thing, you have set a pretty good example for me and for our family. I have seen you over and over submit yourself to God's will and His authority in your life, even when it didn't feel good to do it, even when it cost you. I admire and respect you, and am so glad that we together, are surrendered to Him, and to each other.
    I Love You, Tony

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.