Thursday, September 3, 2009

SURRENDER…Who me?


~ Part 1~

My spirit quickened but my flesh crawled.
The Pastor’s words pierced my Sunday morning decorum,
forcefully confronting my self satisfaction.

We were created to be slaves,” he proclaimed.
So what are we slaves to?” came the challenge.

A slave... me? Christ has delivered me from many things that chained me.
So aren’t I free in Christ? I argued internally.
Free to accept God’s love, free to serve Him, free to obey Him…
even free to fail Him.

Like the stone that found its mark between
Goliath’s eyes,
killing the great giant, the pastor’s words
toppled my pride.

With sudden conviction I realized
my muddled perspective.
I want to be free to be me, free to serve God
as I choose!
Though my heart’s desire is to serve Christ,
my whole orientation often revolves around me…myself.

If I serve God only when it’s convenient, or when
I “feel” like being sacrificial, I’m primarily serving my own
self-interest and not God at all.

Jesus warned us that we cannot serve two masters,
for we will be devoted to one and despise the other (Matt. 6:24).
Paul graphically explained that “those who live according
to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires;
but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds
set on what the Spirit desires.” (Romans 8:5)

If I was created to be a slave, that means I will inevitably be subject to,
or dominated by someone/something. Masters don’t tolerate competition,
so it is futile to think I can serve both Christ
and my fleshly desires at the same time.

I must constantly choose whom I will serve.

Invariably I must ask myself:

“How can I be about God’s business ,
if I’m too busy with my own agenda?”


How about you?
Is it difficult to surrender to God's will?

What are your thoughts?

(Part 2 – tomorrow)

3 comments:

  1. What a thought? How can I do what God wants me to do if I'm too busy for Him? I pray I'm never too busy. Great post. Looking forward to tomorrow's!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are making me take inventory this morning! Yes, I am looking forward to part 2! Thank you for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such truth in your words here. The photos look like they could be in Arizona. I live in Phoenix.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.