Sunday, June 27, 2010

A Doggy Dilemma

Facing a crossroads...which way to turn?
Cut our losses and recoup some of our investment
or struggle on because Derby is so very cute?
***
We have raised dogs before, but it has been
about 23 years since we had a pet.
Our longing for a puppy reached it's zenith this
year when a friend promised us one last December.
Never mind that my allergies are bad
and we are very busy people, both
of us working during the day.
And though that doggie didn't work out
we still dreamt of a puppy to love.
***
So I was a sucker for the huge sign
across a Kentucky pet shop entrance:
PUPPIES!
***
Much discussion, hand wringing, an anxiety attack,
hundreds of dollars, two nights in a house with
a newborn grandson, a 16 hour car trip,
two vet visits, 2 crates and numerous squeaky toys
LATER,
we are considering selling the little guy.
=(
And we have so many reasons
to find our little Pooch a new home...
especially since Hubby was just diagnosed
with mild asthma.
It should be a "no-brainer" but those of
you with empty nests will relate
to my reluctance to part with this
little ball of fluff...this little life
that NEEDS me.
***
And GOD has used him to teach me
so many lessons already!
Lessons about contentment,
patience,
consistency,
selflessness.
***
Please pray that we will make the right
decision for him and for us
and that we won't miss him too much.
((Sigh))

4 comments:

  1. Hi sweetie, I'm so sorry that you are facing this decision. I can tell you that with my asthma(brought on by environmental allergies of all types & I had allergy shots for 20+ yrs)that if you keep Derby bathed and brushed he shouldn't have dander which triggers asthma attacks. Experts told me to get rid of my beloved dogs and I choose to keep them-plus we didn't have hyper-allergenic dogs-but they never caused me serious problems. You may want to wait a few months before selling him. I'll be praying for wisdom from above on this for you Jess.
    Hugs, Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess, This is hard, but God knows you by heart and He will give you peace about the right choice. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh dear...after all you've been through...praying for your decision...
    I could not possibly offer advice on this one.

    Thankful you are safely home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jess,
    I know that God will lead you to make the choice that is best for you and little Derby. I know how difficult it is to part with a puppy once you have taken them in...I'm praying.

    I have been so busy, and struggling badly with feeling sleepy...I think I have a sinus infection, and that may be dragging me down. I will still try to pop by for a little bit in the next day or so.

    Love ya,
    Beck

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.