At first glance, this shoe box looks fit for the garbage.
But oh no!
First appearances can be so deceptive.
I inherited this box from my Mom
when she waltzed into Heaven.
It is one of her precious legacies...
filled with potential blessings!
You see, she collected greeting cards all year so that she
would be ready when someone celebrated a birthday,
needed a "get well " prayer
or came to her mind to encourage.
It's hard to believe that she has been gone over two years
and her "Box" is still almost full!
How many times did she ask me if I had sent
a "thank you" card to a relative?
More than I could ever count!
I think I was in my late thirties when she finally rested
from her quest to make sure I hadn't forgotten
how important it is to send a card.
How very precious that I have her hand written dividers
in this unassuming box!
It sure reminds me that priceless treasure can fill
the most mundane container.
How about you?
Is there someone in need
or your encouraging words today?
"Thank You for stopping by for a visit!"



Jess, this is truly a treasure that you have here in this unassuming box! I have a hard time throwing cards away once I receive them...and I NEVER throw away a hand made card! Well friend, I don't have a card to send you today, but I WAS thinking of you and Tony when I was in SC last week...I took a photo of a display on a wall at a restaurant just for you...I will try to send it over the email. Let me know if you get it!
ReplyDeleteYes, this is a treasure!!! Hope you are having a great week.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful, Jess, and yes, what a treasure! Your Mama was a wise woman. I'm one of those "words of affirmation" gals, so the written word of encouragement REALLY blesses my soul. God knows that. He also knew that I needed some "hugs" from Him today, so He sent a couple my way. Two came in the form of thoughtful, personal e-mails. The third one, a charm, or maybe we'll call it a "Jewel for the Journey" was your lovely post! Love, prayers, and blessings,
ReplyDeletehttp://todaysladyvirtue.blogspot.com/
"Yes, Mama!"
ReplyDeleteMy mother has an identical system. It is her intentional ministry at age 83, and I love her for it. She is very selective about having just the right card for the person and event.
You ARE blessed to have this box & her handwriting to remind you of her AND of her instructions :)
As soon as I posted, I was struck with ANOTHER observation...so many times in THIS age, we think we need a fancy box--need to go buy just the right container or decorate it somehow. Lately I've been using what I have on hand...and this "lowly shoe box" reminds me the container isn't what is important!
ReplyDeleteThank You Precious Ones for your comments!
ReplyDeleteWhat a blessing it is to share bits and pieces of my life with y'all.
May God be your sufficiency today and always~
Jess
Sweet thoughts of Grandmama...I miss her too Mom!
ReplyDeleteYour mother was such a thoughtful person. What a beautiful example for you to follow. I remember my mom used to make sure that I got into the habit of sending cards to people too. She's in heaven now but ....I still remember.
ReplyDeleteIn this day and age of instant everything with email and texting, there's something very special about receiving a card in snail mail.
A blogger friend of mine named Cindy of Letters from Midlife makes beautiful cards using her photography on Etsy. Out of the blue, she sent me a card to tell me she was thinking of me and praying for me. I cannot tell you how much that meant to me.
Thank you for stopping by Heart Choices today. Those old photos are such fun.
Blessings and love,
Debbie
Thank you for visiting my blog. This is such a precious treasure that you have. Encouragement in this form speaks volumes. Have a blessed weekend!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful sharing my friend!
ReplyDeleteMy Grandma was like this and I inherited that from her...sending cards out and then I raised my children that way. So personal and important and a beautiful way to share love with others.
Love and blessings!
Your Mother chose a beautiful way to send cheer to others, just like you are able to encourage us with your writing! (My Mother went'home'on 9/27/08) God bless you.
ReplyDeleteThat box is a treasure! What a sweet blessing for you!
ReplyDeleteThank you for reminding me to encourage another.