Monday, September 20, 2010

WALKING...



“He lifted me out of the pit of despair, out of the mud and the mire.  He set my feet on solid ground and steadied me as I walked along.” Psalm 40:2 NLT

Years ago my friends used to call me “Little Big Step” because at 5’2”, I liked to walk quickly, taking long strides. And there was a time when my children were small and we lived on Bainbridge Island, WA, by Wing Point, that I “power walked” the neighborhood for sanity and fitness. During that season in my life, my husband had a T-shirt made for me that read the “Wing Point Walker.”

I’m not saying that I was “athletic,” because I wasn’t, but I did love to walk… especially in the woods or at the beach. Yet, now I realize that I took my ability to walk for granted. Something as simple as walking in your house, through a store, to a classroom, in a church, is really a pleasure. Just ask someone who can’t.

In January 2003, I scheduled surgery to have both of my knees replaced at the same time. Even though osteoarthritis runs in my family, I hadn’t given it much thought…until I turned 45 years old. Then the pain in my knees became excruciating and my steps got smaller and smaller. Boy did I feel grounded and OLD.

As the director of a growing Pregnancy Care ministry, I had lots of work to do to protect women and babies in my community, so I was determined to recover quickly. What I wasn’t prepared for was the doctor’s further prognosis that my hip needed to be replaced too! Oh my! I would truly be bionic. Fear and disappointment flooded my heart and I really needed Jesus to steady me. With the many prayers of friends and family, we got through the difficult surgeries and Jesus helped me walk again!

Since those days I have had both knees and both hips replaced and have leaned on Christ to rebound, enjoying the simple pleasure of walking. However, it seems my challenges are not quite ended. Just recently we discovered that my left hip has a problem with the bone receding away from the artificial joint. They are saying it’s time for more surgery (including a cadaver bone graft) and I am seeking the face of my Blessed Redeemer. He has promised to place my feet on solid ground and to steady me as I walk along. His faithfulness to His Word gives me the courage to trust Him yet again! No matter what happens I know that I can always choose to “walk in His Spirit!”

How about you?
What are the simple pleasures in your life that you might be taking for granted...
making a lunch date with an adult child who lives close by, kneeling in the garden or by your bed in prayer, the smile of a grandbaby, hiking, watching a sunset?


Let us never take for granted the blessings of everyday life!
May God prove His faithfulness in every situation you are facing today.
                                             Walk on!

Rachel Olsen from Proverbs 31 has allowed us to share our devotions today by linking to her website http://www.rachelolsen.blogspot.com/. The above was written in response to the prompt "Simple Pleasures."

              Visit her blog and you'll be blessed!

22 comments:

  1. Oh Jess,

    I know GOD is with you and His Hand is upon you and your life. I'm praying for you and whatever the next step in this journey you've been on with your hips/knees.

    May the presence, healing, peace, comfort, strength and wisdom of GOD saturate your entire mind, heart, spirit and body. You are special to HIM!!!

    Lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you are very special and touch so many!!! Blessings to you this Monday morning, Jess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning Jess, you've been on quite the journey and God has been with you every step of the way. Do you have an idea when the next surgery will be? Take comfort that many friends are holding you up before the throne of a very mighty God and praying for your health and His blessings. I think we ALL take way too much for granted...until we realize how quickly what we have become familiar with, or what we depend upon, can be gone. Love that verse from the Psalms. On Christ the Solid Rock we stand, all other ground is sinking sand!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading your blog Jess. I love your ability to see God in it all and your optimism is so inspiring! What an awesome witness you are to our God!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep seeking His face and you will find comfort and strength through any trial that you come across. Our Lord is ever faithful! I'm so glad you are choosing to "walk in the Spirit"! He will lift you up on eagle's wings.

    Living for Him, Joan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your walk will lead many. Keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, GIRLFRIEND! I JUST SO FEEL YOUR SPIRIT OF JUST LETTING THIS ALL SOAK IN! I HAVE NEVER BEEN WHERE YOU'RE AT, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF ONE KNEE SURGERY, AND THE DOC SAID THAT THE OTHER KNEE HAS GOT AS MANY MILES ON IT AS THE OTHER ONE, ALSO WALKING JUST IS NOT GOOD FOR THE KNEES! BUMMER!! THATS HOW I LOST 50LBS, ABOUT 4 YRS AGO! BUT WITH A TORN CARTLIDGE (WHICH I WAS ON THE TRACK WHEN IT HAPPENED) I HAVE JUST TOTALLY QUIT WALKING! BUT PRAISE GOD, I HAVE JOINED "CURVES" AND AM REALLY HAPPY WITH IT! I HAVE TO EXERCISE! THANK YOU LORD; YOU WILL BE MY STRENGTH! BUT IT DOES MAKE ONE THINK OF JUST HOW MUCH WE TAKE FOR GRANTED! FORGIVE ME LORD! HAVE A BLESSED EVENING:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Dear Jessica,
    May the Lord always carry you in His loving arms. We will definitely continue praying for you.
    Thank you for reminding us how every day pleasures must never be taken for granted.
    ♡ always

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great verse to focus on along with this post. Your story is quite inspiring and encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ladies like you are such beautiful testimonies to God - still joyful and serving despite personal pain. Thank you for being an example.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jess,
    Thanks for visiting my blog, and leaving your thoughtful comments. Your post reminds me that God directs our every step, however we are allowed to take them. I recently trained for a triathlon, while watching friends have to drop out due to injury. I know that if God didn't have a plan for me in the triathlon, I would not have been able to do it myself. I will pray for you as He directs your steps in this next recovery process.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yes, I was thinking about the pleasure of walking today too! I also have one arthritic knee so cycle rather than walk... but was remembering how much I used to walk, and quickly too! Just goes to show how much we should be grateful for the simplest of abilities...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Keeping you in prayer, dear sweet friend, as you go through this next hurdle. The Lord is with you, each step. It is so comforting to read these ladies comments and to know that you are not alone. So very thankful that the best is yet to come....and I pray that you'll be walking again very soon. God does use you in unique ways as you share from your heart. The Lord bless you and keep you. Hugs & Love, --Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are an inspiration to all of us who find we are just "too tired" to exercise. I need to start seeing God ever time I take a step and I would be more willing to make the effort to walk! Thanks for you words and the testimony of God's faithfulness in your life. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah yes, I remember the days I walked vigorously through our neighborhood while my kids were in the stroller. That wasn't too long ago but life has gotten busy and the walking days don't happen as often. That was a simple pleasure I took for granted. Thank you for sharing your story. I can see that you are a blessing to many.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am really sorry to read about your physical struggles. Even though I haven't had any joints replaced, I do live in pain due to a neck & skull injury. The doctor wants to do more surgury but I am not going to do that right now. It really is hard to always make the right decisions in regards to our bodies and what is best in the long run.

    You are so right about taking things for granted. There are so many things I can no longer do since my injury 8 years ago. I took so many things for granted back then. And still, even now, I take things for granted...I can still walk, talk, see, hear...so many things that some don't have...I think of my children who are so healthy...I forget sometimes the value in all of these things.

    Thank you so much for stopping by my place today and leaving such encouraging words. Bless you. XX

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for your honesty Jess. As you could tell from my blog, I take moments with my precious boys for granted. When I am home with them in the mornings (which I am every morning as I'm on maternity leave) I find myself being irritable and pushy with them when they don't move as fast as I want. I need to slow down, take a deep breath, and chill! They can eat or not...it's not that big of a deal!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, Jess. Eye opening, motivating and inspirational post!

    I pray blessings on your hip(s) and may you contiune to walk long strides with your Savior.

    Long live the Wing Point Walker! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Blessings to you Jess, It is amazing how much we take for granted when it comes to our health. Such an inspiring post dear one; seems like you just recovered from surgery. Wish I was near you, Nellie, Beck so I could come fellowship with you. So glad Jesus can though-He is your strength and will be with you each step of the way.
    Hugs today.
    Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, you've been through a lot! And more to come? It's beautiful to read your story, and to see that your hope is in Jesus. May He bless you with many more days of beach walking, hiking in the woods and stopping to smell the flowers in the garden...

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are such a trooper! He will bring you through just like He has with everything else! Such a wonderful testimony of His goodness to those who are His!!

    Love and hugs!
    Beck

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jess, this was a great reminder for me to enjoy pushing my double stroller more, because soon enough, it will just be a single stroller and then they all will be riding bikes. These sweet moments with my little chicks are to be valued. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.