Do you know this song?
"Make new friends,
but keep the old ~
One is silver and the other gold!"
It's a short tune I learned at summer camp so
many decades ago, and a beautiful truth that
I can testify to in my life.

(Jess and Diane circa 1979!)
I just got off the "phone" with my college roommate
who is living in ...China!
Via Skype, a computer program that enables one
to video conference, we are now keeping in touch
several times a week. YEAH!
~~~
How wonderful to hear about her adventures as
she acclimates to this new culture!
How precious to share our hearts and feel
so "close" because of the video camera.
Even chatting with a cup of tea
first thing in the morning in my bathrobe!
What a blessing not to worry about our appearance;
(it's early for me and late for her)
because our time zones are 12 hours apart.
~~~
Through this modern technology
we can offer encouragement and empathy
that blesses our hearts and enriches our lives.
~~~
A funny thing happened this morning, though...
Diane accidentally hit the "mute" button
on her keyboard so I couldn't hear her.
She was talking away about a
bicycle trip to a silk factory and
I was missing the story!
~~~
So I held up a hand scribbled sign that said:
"I can't hear you!"
For a few moments we made hysterical hand motions
and then, laughing, we disconnected.
Almost immediately she discovered the problem
and redialed my number to finish our call!
~~~
How I thank GOD for this joyful gift of
communicating across the globe!
~~~
King Solomon wrote in Proverbs, chapter 17:17 ~
"A friend loves at all times,
and a brother (sister) is born for adversity."
NIV
or the New Living Translation says:
"A friend is always loyal,
and a brother is born to help in time of need."
~~~
Stay close to your friends,
they are a treasure beyond measure!



What a beautiful post, my dear friend! Friendships are truly a gift from God...and I treasure ours always!
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful picture of you & Diane back in 1979. And how very special that you 2 are communicating via the internet as she's in China and you in Florida. Technology is amazing...we never would have dreamed of this kind of technology back in 1979! Love you!
Hi Jessica,
ReplyDeleteHow neat that you have reconnected with this old and dear friend. I have heard of skype but never tried it yet. That is so neat you can do that.
What a blessing, and what a treasure old friends are, I sure love mine, it is like picking up where you left off when you see or talk to them again. Comfortable as an old shoe!! Who couldn't love that!
Lovely post, and love the story about her talking away and you having to hold up a sign,
so cute, Lucy and Ethyl style!! lol
Have a great Sunday,
Love ya, Nellie
Oh yea, very cute pic of you two as well.
ReplyDeleteBye now.
Nelie
Blessings sweet girl!
This is priceless sharing as is friendship! Praise the Lord!
ReplyDeleteReceived your message and prayed in agreement with you this morning. Blessings.
ReplyDeleteWe a cute picture! I too am just amazed at what the internet can do for us. I have Skype also but I'm just beginning to learn how to use it. So when I figure it out I'll have to SKYPE you! We got it to stay in touch with the grandkids in SC. Is your friend a missionary in China?
ReplyDeleteSkype is amazing! My camera is not the world's best, but it's better than nothing when it comes to talking to our grandchildren!
ReplyDelete