Saturday, July 31, 2010

Shield of Faith

I don't consider myself a timid person. I've had a variety of life experiences which include living overseas, so I handle new situations and challenges well. Yet, I have to say, I've battled fear for many years.
I remember as a new bride, insisting that MY side of the bed be the farthest from the bedroom door...just in case a burglar broke in, he would have to tackle Hubby first!
And each night I would check behind the shower curtain to make absolutely sure NO one was hiding there. Can you relate?

In our modern world there are many unknowns and dangers, so it's easy to become fearful.
In my life fear takes the form of negative thoughts which escalate into spine-chilling imaginations about my safety and well being.
Whether it's concern over losing my wallet and identity, or all those side effects you hear about on TV drug commercials or possible harm coming to one of my loved ones, I've been known to worry alot!

Is fear something you struggle with too?
Does worry overtake your thinking at times?

Such thoughts and feelings are fiery darts designed to destroy our peace and rob our joy.
As Christians, we can rise above these heart-wrenching, often paralyzing thoughts.
Think about the life of King David for a moment. He was a man after God's own heart and wrote often about the protection of the LORD...how GOD is a Shield about us.
David loved to sing about how GOD delivered him from fierce animals and menacing armies.
In Psalm 3:3 after fleeing from his own son, David proclaimed his confidence in GOD by singing:

"Thou, O LORD, art a shield about me,
You're my glory and the lifter of my head."
***
When I apply these truths about GOD as my shield, I am able to extinguish the fiery darts of fear and doubt that target my heart. When I stand on the Rock of Jesus my Savior and hold up the shield of faith, I experience His peace and my heart is calmed. No more checking behind shower curtains for me!
***
Remember, in times of trouble you can lift up the Shield of Faith too! Your Defender is the LORD GOD ALMIGHTY, and there is no one stronger.
HE longs to be your Shield and your great reward!



7 comments:

  1. Hi Jess, This is so awesome and powerful! His perfect love casts out all fear, if we will but let Him!! It's so easy sometimes to just let it get to us, isn't it?

    Praying that all is well...God has brought you to mind several times in the past two days!

    Thanks for this great post and encouragement!
    Love ya!
    Beck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen & Amen! Onward Christian Soldier! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess, thanks for a great post! I hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I am so much like you it is scary (no pun intended!) To this day if hubby is away overnight I sleep with all the lights on. A couple years ago I was alone at night and in an upstairs office on the computer. Everytime I started typing I heard a noise downstairs. When I stopped typing, the noise would stop. I was terrified! I tiptoed over to the landing and listened carefully. Nothing. (And all doors were locked and we have an alarm system!) I went back to my work in the computer and it started again. FINALLY I realized I had left the baby monitor on and I was hearing my own sounds downstairs! I think that experience finally taught me how bizarre my fear was. I love that verse about God being the lifter of our heads. We have no reason to cower in fear when He is our all in all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. MORNING JESS,
    WHAT A TRUTHFUL AND POWERFUL POST. THE ENEMY OF OUR SOUL LOVES FOR US TO LIVE IN FEAR, WORRY AND ANXIETY, AND TRULY THE ONLY WAY TO EXTINQUISH THOSE FIERY DARTS HE LAUNCHES AT US IS FIRST TO RECOGNIZE THEM (SO MANY TIMES IT TAKES US A WHILE TO REALIZE WHAT IS EVEN HAPPENING ESPECIALLY IF WE ARE YOUNG BELIEVERS BUT SOMETIMES HE THROWS US SEASONED BELIEVERS BY CHANGING TACTICS) AND WE CAN'T FIGHT WHAT WE DON'T UNDERSTAND IS HAPPENING TO US, WE NEED TO RUN TO OUR LORD AND QUOTE HIS
    WORD. MY LIFE VERSE IS PHIL.4:6-8. QUOTING THAT VERSE OUT LOUD TO MYSELF AND TO MY UNSEEN ENEMY OVER THE YEARS HAS REALLY TRANSFORMED MY LIFE.
    I ALSO LOVE THE VERSE "HE WHOSE MIND IS STAYED ON CHRIST WILL BE KEPT AT PERFECT PEACE. QUOTING SCRIPTURE IT IS A GOOD THING....JESUS MODELED IT FOR US, AND IT WORKS. GOD TRULY IS OUR SHIELD AND DELIVERER, AN EVER PRESENT HELP IN TIME OF NEED.
    A MATURE LADY SHARED A NEAT THING THAT HAS REALLY HELPED ME A LOT. IF YOU GET THOUGHTS SAYING WHAT IF THIS HAPPENS AND WHAT IF THAT HAPPENS, OR PRETTY MUCH ANY KIND OF WHAT IF THOUGHTS THEY ARE USUALLY FROM THE ENEMY, SO SET YOUT MIND TO THINKING ABOUT SOMETHING ELSE, USUALLY I JUST QUIT ENTERTAINING THEM BY PRAYING
    AND IT WORKS EVERYTIME.
    THANKS FOR COMING BY AND YOUR COMPASSIONATE WORDS AND PRAYERS. I SLEPT PRETTY WELL FOR 6 HRS., BUT NOW MY LOWER BACK IS KILLING ME, SO I JUST GOT UP. THIS ALWAYS HAPPENS WHEN THEY START READJUSTING THINGS! LOL MY NECK AND ARM IS FEELING MUCH BETTER ALREADY BUT IT WILL TAKE A FEW VISITS YET. I GO BACK AGAIN TOMORROW AND FRIDAY. BUT I AM MUCHO GRATEFUL FOR HOW IT IS EVEN NOW. IT IS A DEGENERATIVE CONDITION AND IT HAS GOTTEN WORSE, BUT NOT TO THE POINT OF SURGERY YET THANKFULLY. AT SOME POINT THAT MAY HAVE TO COME UNLESS THE LORD SEES FIT TO HEAL
    ME.
    HOW DID YOUR CONFERENCE GO?? HOPE YOU AND TONY HAD A GOOD TIME AS WELL AS GAINED SOME GOOD INFO AND INSPIRATION.
    TAKE CARE AND HAVE A GOOD DAY,
    LOVE YA, NELLIE

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're memorizing Bible verses in our adult Sunday School class. The first two have both begun with the words "Fear not"! (We're doing 6 in 6 weeks.)

    After reading your post, I think God is either trying to TELL me something or PREPARE me for something. Maybe both!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.