Wednesday, August 4, 2010

SHE SPEAKS

Precious Ones,

I had the incredible privilege of attending the annual SHE SPEAKS Conference for speakers & writers put on by Proverbs 31 Ministries, last weekend in Concord, NC.
My husband not only encouraged me to make the financial investment but also graciously drove me up there for the whirlwind event. The following post is an attempt to share how GOD met me in a special way.
(Doris and me! )
Along with experiencing inspirational keynote speakers, informative workshops, and wonderful worship, I had to prepare two "talks" to be evaluated
in a small group setting.
Well, I was more nervous than usual on Friday night and gave a disappointing delivery, actually stopping momentarily as I lost my place. The only good thing I could think of to come from my mistake was that of the eleven trainees in my group, the 5 ladies that followed me didn't have to worry about "messing up!" I had already committed the cardinal sin...
letting my nervousness get the best of me.
Though I was upset about my performance, briefly doubting whether God really wanted me to aspire to public speaking, I made the decision to see my shaky start as a gift of humility.
~~~
After waiting two full hours to peek at the evaluations I brought back to my hotel room, I was touched at how gracious the other ladies had been in their assessments of me. Then I vowed to be more thoughtful in evaluating each of them the following evening and
to stay up later to further polish my second talk.
~~~
Saturday brought more wonderful teaching from dedicated and inspiring presenters.
Then, much to my surprise, GOD used the generosity of the Proverbs 31 Leadership
to affirm His calling on my life.
Not once, not twice, but three times
my name was called to receive door prizes!
I was stunned, as I have never been a "lucky" person. All day long fellow attendees were smiling at me and marveling at GOD's favor. I must say it was a little embarrassing, but so affirming. You see, for years I have felt led to write a book about mother/daughter relationships and the resources I won at the conference will greatly help me do this!
~~~
As part of my preparation for this project I'm launching a new blog entitled
"Mother Daughter Tango."
Please come over and visit me at: http://www.motherdaughtertango.blogspot.com
You know, my joy at receiving those wonderful door prizes was topped by the Holy Spirit's urging me to give gifts of my own to my evaluation group. With pure delight, I gave away copies of my first children's book and look forward to hearing about
the ripple effect of blessing.

How about you?
Is GOD calling you out of your comfort zone?
~~~
If so, be prepared for unexpected challenges
and blessings!

(With new friend Eileen)


9 comments:

  1. So excited for you!! What special blessings you received at the Conference. And the confirmation that God gave to you over the weekend. WooHoo! I'm rejoicing with you, dear sister! Love, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting to have attended the SheSpeaks Conference. I understand the jitters of preparing talks like this and being evaluated by your peers. Some years ago I attended CLASS: Christian Leaders, Authors and Speakers Seminar with the Littauer's. We had a similar experience.

    I am so glad that you won several door prizes. Good for you and how like God to encourage you with your mother/daughter program and blog.

    Blessings,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a blessing! I admire you. Public speaking is definitely not one of my gifts, but women like you always inspire me to use whatever gift I was given!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Jess! That is awesome that God provided a way for you to go to that conference. I know all about the speaking jitters...been there, done that! It does get better, but for me it hasn't ever been easy. So excited about your new blog. Going to check it out.
    Also, you look great, btw!!! You are glowing.
    Hugs,
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go Je-esss!! Go Je-ess!! So glad God met you there and am so excited to see where this journey takes you! I'll be right there with you in prayer and with encouragement along the way!!

    I'm off to follow your new blog!!
    Love you!
    Beck

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI JESSICA,
    SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAD QUITE AN EXCITING TIME AT THE CONFERENCE......THAT IS WONDERFUL. LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR NEW BLOG AND YOUR UPCOMING BOOK. LOVE YOUR NEW PICTURE IN YOUR ABOUT ME AREA, VERY CLASSY!!
    MAY GOD CROWN ALL YOUR EFFORTS WITH GREAT SUCCESS,
    AND MAY IT HEAL ANY AND ALL WOUNDS THAT MIGHT STILL LURK UNKNOWN.
    LOVE YA, NELLIE

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess I got myself really behind in the blog department. I have been really busy with life...sorry. So glad to hear you had a wonderful time and that God was so real and close! You are definitely moving toward your goal of writing your new book...I'm so happy for you. It sounds like a great and much needed topic. We'll catch up more soon! Yes I agree with Nellie, may God just shower your efforts with success and be pleased with all you do!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ps love the new look, both here and on the new blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jess, I was delighted to see the pictures you took at the conference, as you took them with two of my dear friends - Doris and Eileen. And Eileen is actually helping mentor me with personal organizing. What a small world. You have a great blog!

    Glynnis

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.