I’ve always loved the spiritual truths of Christmas.
As a teenager I sang in the choir and was a dancer
In the production of “Amal and the Night Visitors.”
Yet, when I was a young wife,
Christmas came to mean so much more to me.
That first year of marriage, my husband and I
made a commitment to follow JESUS…
A lovely story about God’s astounding grace that I’ll
share another day.
By 1980 we had moved to Bainbridge Island, WA
and plugged into the Presbyterian Church there.
We were delighted to teach Sunday school,
not realizing how much God wanted to teach us
about His Word and about His Love.
You know, there is something powerful about simplifying
the scriptures for a child’s heart
As a teenager I sang in the choir and was a dancer
In the production of “Amal and the Night Visitors.”
Yet, when I was a young wife,
Christmas came to mean so much more to me.
That first year of marriage, my husband and I
made a commitment to follow JESUS…
A lovely story about God’s astounding grace that I’ll
share another day.
By 1980 we had moved to Bainbridge Island, WA
and plugged into the Presbyterian Church there.
We were delighted to teach Sunday school,
not realizing how much God wanted to teach us
about His Word and about His Love.
You know, there is something powerful about simplifying
the scriptures for a child’s heart
that truly impacts adults as well.
That Christmas was the first time we were introduced
to the experience of celebrating Advent.
Per the 4th grade curriculum, we made small advent logs
with our students, using five miniature candles.
One candle is to be lit on each of the four
Sundays before Christmas
That Christmas was the first time we were introduced
to the experience of celebrating Advent.
Per the 4th grade curriculum, we made small advent logs
with our students, using five miniature candles.
One candle is to be lit on each of the four
Sundays before Christmas
and the final candle is lit on Christmas Eve.
Scriptures about Christ’s first coming are read during
the candle lighting and carols are sung, all pointing
to God’s great favor in sending His Son to earth.
Scriptures about Christ’s first coming are read during
the candle lighting and carols are sung, all pointing
to God’s great favor in sending His Son to earth.
These photos are of the Advent “log”
we made that year.
It is a slice of cedar from a downed tree limb
in our front yard! Our little lot was very woodsy as
is the whole island. At the time I was fortunate to find
the last five metal, screw-in candle cups at the florist
and notice the original plastic flowers!
We have lit this advent log for 29 years now!
What a treasure of memories.
I can’t wait to explain to our 3 ½ yo grandson
It is a slice of cedar from a downed tree limb
in our front yard! Our little lot was very woodsy as
is the whole island. At the time I was fortunate to find
the last five metal, screw-in candle cups at the florist
and notice the original plastic flowers!
We have lit this advent log for 29 years now!
What a treasure of memories.
I can’t wait to explain to our 3 ½ yo grandson
all about the importance of Advent.
Rejoice! Each Christmas brings us closer to
Jesus’s Return.
Christmas Blessings!
Jesus’s Return.
Christmas Blessings!



Hi Jess,
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet treasure and lovely way to usher in the celebration of Christ's birth! Amos will love it when he gets a little older.
Love to you, my dear friend. And prayers that the next couple of weeks will be filled to overflowing with joy, love, peace and fun times with family and friends.
Love you,
Beck
How special as you remember all the Christmas memories and now can share this Advent tradition with your grandchildren! I remember seeing that Advent log each year when we would visit your home...it has fond memories for me also!
ReplyDeleteBlessings to you all this Christmas Season as we celebrate Jesus' Birthday and spend time with loved ones, neighbors and family. Take lots of pictures....I know you will! Love always, Michelle
What a beautiful treasure you have!! Love how you're still using the same one after all these years. Enjoy! Thank you for your sweet comments on my blog!
ReplyDelete