Friday, August 13, 2010

De-Clutter Me Please!

When I returned from the SHE SPEAKS Conference, I decided it was time to face my office, a very frightening prospect!  You see, it had become a "catch all" room since my surgery last January and was taken over by PILES.

Yes, I am the Queen of Paper, and my kingdom is made up of stacks of paper, photos, catalogs, albums, receipts, etc.
Now, I'm not proud of this, in fact I despair in need of organizing help.

Is there a love seat underneath ALL of that????

The problem that prompts my piling efforts is that I may need THAT piece of paper someday.
Or, I might want to take advantage of THAT offer some day! 
And so the piles get higher and higher.

But praise GOD, a little determination and focused effort goes a LONG way...
Now I see a dresser!


And there's room to actually sit!


A new friend from the conference has a ministry helping people get organized. She shared with me that it all starts in our heads, has to be committed to in our hearts, affects our hips and finally is reflected in our homes!
OUCH!  Sounds like repentance and prayer are the starting points to permanent change!

Are you challenged by clutter too?


What keeps you motivated to stay organized?

11 comments:

  1. Wow, you are brave to show us all those piles!! Ah, yes, we can all relate to some degree with this problem. I, also, have a hard time getting rid of all the papers that collect in my office! It feels like I am constantly sorting through papers, papers & more papers!!
    I love the sweet dresser & loveseat shots after you "uncovered" them....truly a wonderful accomplishment and now you can have a guest over for tea & conversation! Love you! --Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Jess, OMG! My daughter would have a blast sharing my Piles! Most of mine are in sacks, boxes, etc....She says that I am the "packrat" of all times!! So don't think you beat me!!Ha-ha!!But anyway it feels so wonderful to de-clutter. I have been working on that all summer.But I get so sidetracted that I leave it and seems to take days to get back to it! Is'nt life just so Happy!! Thanks for sharing for I thought I was the only one!! Have a great wk-end!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MORNING JESSICA,
    OH YEA!! PAPER SEEMS TO BE MY WORST ENEMY TOO!!
    I REALLY DON'T UNDERSTAND IT EITHER CAUSE I PITCH OUT EVERYTHING POSSIBLE THE MINUTE IT COMES IN THE HOUSE, BUT THEN THEIR IS THE STUFF YOU ARE NOT SURE WHAT TO DO WITH, OR THAT YOU THINK HUBBY NEEDS TO SEE, AND COUPONS THAT YOU MIGHT CAN USE AND CHURCH BULLETINS AND IT JUST ALL PILES UP SOOOOOO QUICKLY!! AHHHHHHHHH!
    SO ANNOYING!! IT USUALLY GOES FROM MY KITCHEN COUNTER INTO MY WALK IN CLOSET FLOOR, AND EVERYTIME I GO IN MY WALK IN CLOSET... I THINK NELLIE, YOU HAVE GOT TO GET IN HERE AND GO THRU THIS STUFF.......THE BEST PART... IS WHEN SOME TIME HAS ELAPSED, YOU CAN JUST THROW MOST OF IT OUT ANYWAY... BECAUSE THE COUPONS HAVE EXPIRED AND THE CHURCH BULLETINS ARE REALLY OLD,
    AND IF HUBBY HASN'T LOOKED AT IT OR DONE SOMETHING BY NOW THEN IT WASN'T IMPORTANT ANYWAY!!
    SO MAKES IT MUCH EASIER TO PITCH!! LOL
    THANKS FOR THAT LIL KICK IN THE BACKSIDE, MY GOAL FOR THIS WEEK WILL BE TO TACKLE THAT PAPER IN MY CLOSET..........REALLY SHOULDN'T TAKE THAT LONG.......NOW THAT I THINK ABOUT IT!! LOL
    LOVE YA, NELLIE

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH BY THE WAY..........YOUR OFFICE LOOKS GREAT!!
    GOOD FOR YOU!! YOU HAVE INSPIRED ME NOW.!! THANKS!!

    HUGS, NELLIE

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing before and after!! I helped two teachers organize their classrooms last week and we took before and after pics! I have done a lot of downsizing myself. There is hope!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending all my admiration to you, Jess! Paper is my downfall, too. It is SO hard for me to part with paper. Storing information on the computer just isn't quite the same. I hope you'll be sharing some of your "methods" soon...

    ...as well as some of the inspiration you received at the She Speaks conference!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to go Jess! I felt so good when I got my room organized, and made my workbench nicer.
    Sweet victory for you and the space looks great!

    I think we all battle clutter. Fly Lady has some good ideas for dealing with it, too! She has helped me with my piles. Almost have it licked!
    Love you! Gotta get craftin'!
    Beck

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved your pics! You did a great job there my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW, I am clapping for you right now for plowing through (smile)...

    When my home office gets crazy I find that I go into it less and less--lugging my laptop every where else and then work is not getting done and that's why I get a cup of coffee and go IN!! I don't come out until it's done!!! :)

    Praying you are doing well. Bless you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Let me tell you about clutter. We moved from a large home to a much smaller one that is temporary. Even though I sold what I thought was most of my stuff, I still have boxes in the garage and now I don't even know what's there. I clean and organize the house but the one area that gets left is where I spend most of my time; in my office. Go figure!

    I even won a one hour with a professional organizer too.

    But you got me thinking Jess. So maybe I'll get things orderly. I know it will help me.

    Blessings,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't even ask me about my clutter! I USED to have a home office in a spare room upstairs. It is now nearly floor to wall with I have no idea what. The sad part is, I'm really the only one who could clean it out. When am I ever going to have 5 full days with no interruption to do this?? (However, if you tell me you are coming to Ohio and staying with me, I bet I could get motivated!) My biggest fear in life is that we will get a tornado warning when we have guests over and we would be forced to my basement. It's humiliating enough whenever I have a service man that has to go down there. I keep telling myself that I am really NOT a disorganized person...and I CAN do this...Oh, I'm getting depressed...PLEASE share some things you learned at the conference...sounds like I'm not the only one who can use some inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.