Wednesday, July 8, 2009

A Desirable Jewel

Like many collectors, I find that certain colors
and shapes attract my attention. For instance,
the predominate color of my shoes and
clothing (after black) is Blue.
Green takes first place in my jewelry.
Warm tones like red and orange
are almost non-existent!

Funny, I’m a “cool colored” gal and yet,
to be balanced I need to incorporate
some warm hues.


That seems to be the case with the spiritual gems
that I collect as well.


I’m drawn to KINDNESS and PATIENCE,
GRATITUDE and FORGIVENESS.
Of course, LOVE and FAITH are my favorites…
but let me tell you about SELF-CONTROL.

Now, this is a jewel I sorely need in my collection.
I imagine SELF-CONTROL as a deep orange/brown,
the color of rich wood and stability.
I suppose I would already have it
if it was easily accessible and abundant...
but truly, it is a rare and elusive gemstone.

I’ve found it takes concentrated effort and focus
to acquire it! And frankly, I’ve been known to give
up in this particular pursuit.

Oh, selfishness, self-centeredness and self-praise are in
much greater supply, and alas, I’ve collected some of
these along the way.

But the glow of SELF-CONTROL will spread
the glorious light of DISCIPLINE over my life,
bringing true CONTENTMENT.

LORD please help me to surrender to Your Holy Spirit,
so that the Jewel of SELF-CONTROL

will change my thoughts, words and actions

and I am may be more pleasing in your sight.”


For God did not give us a spirit of timidity,
but a spirit of power, of love and of self-control.

2 Timothy 1:7


7 comments:

  1. Priceless! I am so in need of this gem as well! Love your post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely and important thoughts. A beautiful blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So timely and important to remember. Welcome to blogging! There is a wonderful group of friends that come along with it(I'm a friend of Becky's)and read about you at Nellie's..so glad to have found you.
    Have a great day tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the color you chose for self-control, Jess! Truly a fruit God desires all of us to have in plenty!

    HUGS and love,
    Beck

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a novel and beautiful approach to this quality! The Timothy verse is the basis for one of my own blogs...God HAS given us the spirit of self-control. I don't have to ask for it....I just have to USE it. This has taken me a long time to figure out :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way you put photo's of gems to represent the Fruit of the Spirit. I think we all are lacking in self-control~that is why we need Jesus so much~I love the scripture verse you quoted~it is my favorite~the NIV translation says "For God did not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind." Thank you for this great post! God bless, Rose

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another beautifully written sharing of the heart.

    Jess, now I know what has drawn us in Christ -- you are the "cool gal" and I am more the "warm colors gal". Opposites indeed attract but it only works when they have the common bond of CHRIST. Amen!

    Love and blessings Sis.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.