Saturday, May 8, 2010

My Daughter a Mother

On May 20, 2006, my firstborn became a parent.
What a wonder!
Four months shy of her 23rd birthday, God brought
little Amos Bell into this world ~
changing all of our lives forever.


What a JOY to be a Grandmother!

I always sensed it would be
the icing on the cake of life
and it is.

~~~
Recently I did some scrapbooking
and found a poem that Katie wrote when
Amos was barely 6 months old.

I thought I would share it here to
warm your hearts on this Mother's Day.
What a privilege to share life brand new
with each of our children and Grands!


Giggling at Ceiling Fans


Sitting in my Honors' University classes
Filling my mind with echoes of the
Great Conversation ~
I never dreamed of you.
~~~

But here you are, and now I'm a Mom.
Not a graduate student nor a vocational writer.
You are here, every minute, every day,
And you are a dream I never dreamt until now...
~~~

I never dreamt I would lie beside you on my bed
Backs down, bellies up, staring for hours
at the ceiling fan
Going round and around
and giggle so hard with you.
~~~

I never dreamt I would lie on the carpet with you
Backs up, bellies down,
picking at the texture of the carpet
for twenty minutes at a time,
raking our fingers through it
looking for buried treasure...
~~~

I never dreamt I would praise GOD ecstatically over
the first dirty diaper after a long bout of constipation.
I never dreamt I would throw all my creative energies
into making a graham cracker mushy enough
for you to swallow.
~~~

You are teaching me to dream!
~~~
For I never dreamt I would see
the world born new in your eyes
every time you wake up
and with giggles and squeals
you impatiently wiggle
out of my arms, so eager to greet:
the same old ceiling fan,
the same old carpet,
the same old graham crackers...

And I thank GOD for You!

8 comments:

  1. Love this beautiful message!!!

    Happy Mother's Day to you and to your daughter. As a Mother and Grandma myself I know the JOYS!!!!

    Hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thank you, sweet friend, for sharing Katie's wonderful poem! It has blessed me! :) My love to you all this Mother's Day! Hugs-----Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jessica,
    I left a message earlier and thought I lost it,
    but wasn't sure, so came back to see and don't see it posted.
    Anyway, Hope you have a Wonderful Mother's Day!!
    That was such a sweet poem Katie wrote, thanks for sharing it with us. Katie is such a beauty inside and out. Aren't you expecting #2 soon??
    That was such a cute pic of her and Amos.
    Loved it.
    Hope you have a Day full of Blessing and surprises!
    Love ya, Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful expression of mothering joy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful family and poem, Jess!
    Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a lovely comment. I see Rebecca, along with Jacquelyn are mutual friends.
    Have a Wonderful Mother's Day!
    ♥...Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beautiful pictures from both posts! Love the one of your daughter looking just so happy to be giving a bottle to her baby! And the poem she wrote was very nice. I think all of us moms can relate to the part about the diaper!

    Hope you had a great Mother's Day as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely poem, lovely pictures, lovely memories-in-the-making! You are so right, that grand-parenting is just the frosting on the cake! Love that picture of you and Amos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Grammacita's heart just overflows, Jess!
    I love that you shared Katie's poem. How precious is that? What a blessed Mom she is because YOU are her Mom!

    Love you lots!
    Thank you for sharing this!
    Beck

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.