Friday, May 21, 2010

A PARTY in a BOX!

After two grueling, exhausting weeks
we did something very special today!
God gave us the opportunity to bring some joy to a school full
of youngsters by reading my children's book and sharing
happy accordion music!
Despite the mental and physical fatigue
of writing a 40 page grant for county funding
AND attending a 3 day national
conference for pregnancy care centers...

I awoke early this morning to join Hubby as a presenter
at the Boston Avenue School in DeLand, FLorida.
The morning assembly was dedicated to
promoting their summer reading program D.E.A.R!

"Drop Everything And Read!"
What a wonderful program to encourage book reading
in order to nourish young minds
and expand their imaginations.

After the assembly which included various members
from the community (all reading on stage!),
I was invited to read my book for one of the 2nd grade
classes. What a privilege to see the students delight
as I shared my story and encouraged them to dance
to the music!
~~~
Memories of the morning:
the school building is charming,
the staff so supportive,
and the students well behaved!
Their reaction to my book and Tony's joyous music
was such a blessing!
You can hear a sample by going to

How FUN to introduce children to such a cool instrument

and to have a party first thing in the morning!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jessica,
    How neat that you were able to go and read your book for the school. What a blessing to you and I am sure to them as well. That is so neat Tony went with you to play for them as well. I bet they really enjoyed it all.
    I really loved it myself, and can't wait to have grandies to read it to....have thought of reading it to Joey and Rosie but doubted I would get a very exciting response!! lol
    Thanks for all your encouraging and sweet words to us about Jim's layoff, and most of all thanks for the prayers, I think all these prayers are
    part of what is keeping us sane and out of the pit!! lol
    Have a great rest of the day,
    Love ya, Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful blessing for them and you and Tony!! It is such a charming building isn't it? And of course your book and the music are delightful!!

    Glad that you got all of your stuff done and had safe travel to and from the conference!

    Hope your week goes just as well!
    Love ya,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure the children absolutely loved it all!

    Beautiful blessing I'm sure!

    Hugs and blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you sure have been busy! We love your book!!! How wonderful for those kids to get to meet the author and get a live reading! I keep forgetting to tell you that at my great aunt's funeral a couple weeks ago, a man played old Italian songs on his accordian just like they used to do in the old neighborhood when my dad was growing up!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.