Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Whole Prayer

Most people have heard the "Serenity Prayer," but don't realize that there is much more to it than the first four lines.  I was surprised to read the whole prayer in a workbook I'm using. These great words of comfort for dealing with hardships and trials are often left off plaques and cards!  I hope they encourage you.



Prayer for Serenity


By Reinhold Niebuhr

God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time,
enjoying one moment at a time;
accepting hardship as a pathway to peace;
taking, as Jesus did,
this sinful world as it is,
not as I would have it;

Trusting that You will make all things right
if I surrender to Your will;
so that I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with You forever in the next.
Amen.

4 comments:

  1. I never knew there was more to it! Thanks for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I WAS unaware of the rest of it. And the "unknown" lines are as challenging as the first, better known ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks again for sharing this....I think I might print out these words and put them in my car as a reminder when I come & go. Blessings, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, Jess! Thanks for sharing ALL of it! I will need to repost this in the near future.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.